Saturday, June 29, 2013

Summer Sewing -- The Summer Tote

Oh summer, you hold such promise...  Slow mornings, sunny porch steps, adventurous travel and lingering picnics.  With a very important July birthday coming, and a summer adventure scheduled not long after I was longing for a light hearted, carefree, summer tote that could faithfully lug all of my necessities around with style and grace, not to mention delight the above mentioned birthday girl.  I mean, who doesn't need a great new bag?!

Well, let me tell you, I was in luck one night at the library and found a Lotta Jansdotter's fantastic book, Simple Sewing, complete with patterns!  Super Score! After going through the entire book a couple of times to get the old creative juices flowing I kept being drawn back into the All Day Tote. 


All Day Tote from book Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter
A fantastic sewing book for beginners and up, in my opinion!
Well, wouldn't you know I made two totes?  One for me and one for a very special birthday girl! 

My tote is the grey chevron lined with a very bright and summery Lazy stripe fabric in Sunset by Tina Givens.  The outside is a poly/cotton blend twill with a cotton screen printed twill for the chevron pockets and handles.  Totally Adorable!

The pink and red version is the gift bag.  The main body of the tote is a Jenaveve linen blend in raspberry by Valori Wells with a red velveteen main pocket (got a great deal on a remnant at my local Joann Store) and handles and a grey wide wale cord (also a remnant from my local Joann's) for the side pocket.  The lining is a soft green from Nest, also by Valori Wells.  Almost too hard to part with!



One modification I think I would make for next time it to add a heavy duty interfacing to add some body and stiffness to the bag sides and bottom.

Looking for a fun summer project to expand your sewing skills or just to get away from it all for a bit behind the sewing machine?  Look no further!




No comments:

Post a Comment