Saturday, December 10, 2011

Giving Back

There are two charities that tug at my heartstrings. I donate to them both throughout the year.  
The first is St. Jude's (www.stjudes.org). The idea that your child is facing a serious illness and possibly death is overwhelming. I absolutely cannot imagine being faced with something like this and am thankful that organizations, like this one, exist. The stories of children who are in the care of St. Jude's is heartbreaking. Knowing what the parents of these children are going through brings tears to my eyes.
Donate now

Seattle Children's Hospital (www.seattlechildrens.org) is another and I support them for the same reason. The are the closest Children's Hospital to where I live and they do a lot of great things for families with children who are facing a medical crisis.
Make a Donation | Seattle Children's Hospital

I guess there are a lot of reasons why I donate to both of these organizations but the number one reason is...I've never had to use their services and for that I'm forever grateful.

Another particularly poignant charity is Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org). This organization supports families facing the loss of a baby. Their testimonials are heart wrenching.
Donate - Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

There are hundreds of worthwhile organizations out there that need support (time or money). They do good work in the world. Work which generally gone unacknowledged by the majority only because we've never had to use their services. Many of these organizations are suffering, just like everyone, with the state of the economy. Remember that where you choose to spend your money...it counts. It counts because it has direct results and if enough people make conscious choices about where their dollars are going then THAT can change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment